Configuring iSQL*Plus for web dba access was tricky for me as an Oracle beginner.
I had difficulty finding straightforward instructions on getting it up and running for use on the dba url (basic iSQL*Plus worked as soon as I enabled it and opened the port). By default it should be installed but disabled with a base install of Oracle 10gR2. For complete SQL*Plus configuration information see Oracle's SQL*Plus configuration document.
The steps that got me up and running are below (I'm on SLES 10.2 x64, but this should apply generally to other distributions), any corrections are welcome.
Note: Some services need to be restarted. Don't do this on a production server without following your company's testing/change control policies.
- Configure iSQL*Plus for autostart and allow access.
- Enable iSQL*Plus to start on boot
- edit etc/sysconfig/oracle and set START_ORACLE_DB_ISQLPLUS = yes
- sed command is
- sed -e '/DB_ISQLPLUS/ s/"no"/"yes"/' -i /etc/sysconfig/oracle
- If you're running a local firewall, open port 5560 for iSQL*Plus
- To open port on SLES 10.2 (requires root or sudo privileges)
- With root or sudo privileges
- edit /etc/sysconfig/SuSEfirewall2
- add ports to FW_SERVICES_EXT space separated, well known ports can be listed by name (i.e. ssh, http).
- example: FW_SERVICES_EXT_TCP="5801 5901 ssh 5560 1158 1521"
- restart firewall services
- /sbin/SuSEfirewall2 stop
- /sbin/SuSEfirewall2 start
- set a temporary JAVA_HOME (10g explicitly unsets JAVA_HOME to avoid conflicts for Oracle Java apps).
- export JAVA_HOME=$ORACLE_HOME/jdk
- Verify that the application server process is running
- ps -eaf egrep "java.security.properties=/ "
- Start the JAZN (Oracle's Java AuthoriZatioN ) Shell
- Make sure you're in the working directory
- If this is a new install the default admin for iSQL*Plus will be 'admin' with a password of 'welcome' if this is an existing install, consult your records or another DBA.
- To start with default user/pass (Do not leave it as default)
- $JAVA_HOME/bin/java -Djava.security.properties=$ORACLE_HOME/sqlplus/admin/iplus/provider -jar $ORACLE_HOME/oc4j/j2ee/home/jazn.jar -user "iSQL*Plus DBA/admin" -password welcome -shell
- If password was the default and you are the owner of the system/database, change the iSQLPlus Admin password from JAZN
- setpasswd "iSQL*Plus DBA" admin old_password new_password
- Enable iSQL*Plus Web DBA Access
- Once logged into the shell
- Create a user
- adduser "iSQL*Plus DBA"
- grant the webDba role
- grantrole webDba "iSQL*Plus DBA"
- Changes will not take effect until iSQL*Plus is restarted (this affects only the availability of iSQL*Plus, database availability should not be affected).
- To restart iSQL*Plus
- $ORACLE_HOME/bin/isqlplusctl stop
- $ORACLE_HOME/bin/isqlplusctl start
- iSQL*Plus should now be ready for access
- the default urls for access are
- Log in as the new user.